I am John Stevenson and I will be your guide for another renku session. This week we begin a twenty-stanza, nijûin, renku.
You are now invited to submit up to five hokku (opening verse) offers.
The requirements will be as follows:
- A three-line verse of seventeen syllables or less
- Containing a spring season word or phrase from the site listed below
- Containing a single grammatical break, creating a two-part structure
- One of the first three verses will be a blossom verse, so the hokku may contain a blossom image but is not required to contain one
- Exhibiting a mood in the areas of serenity, gratitude, wonder, etc. in contrast to sarcasm, erotica, contention, etc.
- Exhibiting an open quality, suggesting much rather than stating any single idea
For this renku, we will be using this site (http://www.2hweb.net/haikai/renku/500ESWd.html) as the source for our season words and images. Note that some spring topics are listed as “late spring.” Since the hokku will be the first in a series of three spring verses, “late spring” topics should be reserved for verses two or three and avoided in the hokku.
I will be reviewing your offers until midnight on Monday, May 3 (New York time). On Thursday, May 6 there will be a new post in which I will announce my selection of a hokku for our new renku, comment on some of the other offers, and issue instructions for writing second verse (wakiku) offers.
Thank you, everyone,
The Haiku Foundation reminds you that participation in our offerings assumes respectful and appropriate behavior from all parties. Please see our Code of Conduct policy https://www.thehaikufoundation.org/code-of-conduct/