News:

If you click the "Log In" button and get an error, use this URL to display the forum home page: https://thehaikufoundation.org/forum_sm/

Update any bookmarks you have for the forum to use this URL--not a similar URL that includes "www."
Welcome to The Haiku Foundation forum! Some features and boards are available only to registered members who are logged in. To register, click Register in the main menu below. Click Login to login. Please use a Report to Moderator link to report any problems with a board or a topic.

Main Menu

dimes in velvet

Started by Jim Kacian, May 30, 2011, 02:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Kacian

Hi, All:

A second translation from the Per Diem feature by Sasanoha:

chill wind
a dime lands softly
in his velvet case

冷えた風
硬貨がまいこむ
彼のビロードの箱

Hieta kaze
Kouka ga maikomu
Kare no veludo no hako

We look forward to your comments.

J

sionek

Quote from: Jim Kacian on May 30, 2011, 02:01:04 PMchill wind
a dime lands softly
in his velvet case
Dear Jim,

IMHO, if you change "his" on "the", you will not only make it twice wider (+her), but also give the reader possibility to feel the wind from the other side - from the side of the street musician (+my). From that side, the wind is even more chill, and the velvet case seems to be more soft and warm.

If you cannot change it, because you are not the author of the poem, you can do it in the Japanese version - I do not know, how about the other words, but IMHO "kare no" is not needed at all, even if it is a translation of the version with "his".

best wishes,
Gregor

P.S. While translating the poem into Japanese, I suggest to use the structure of hokku "kareeda ni" by Basho, i.e.

(velvet case) ni
(a dime) ga/no (softly-lands)
(chill wind)
Grzegorz Sionkowski

chibi575

Like the poem.  Like Gregor's suggestion, but, drop the softly, perhaps sound of a coin on velvet?

ビロード箱
に金貨の音
寒さ哉

I try to keep the 5-7-5 and meaning/feeling if I can, but, I am weak on the grammar.

Not the same English action exactly, but, the idea of a falling coin's sound, maybe?

Not sure about the cut "kana" at the end, either.

I have fun trying.

知美

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk