Author Topic: indecent haiku  (Read 4803 times)

josie hibbing

• View Profile
indecent haiku
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:53:50 AM »
Hi! I visit a few haiku groups regularly. I'm not an expert, but I can tell that a lot of the postings are not haiku. I feel bored. Lately, there has been so many indecent haiku postings and some of them are sickening. What are the rules about indecent haiku, or is there such a thing as indecent haiku?

Josie

Lorin

• View Profile
Re: indecent haiku
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:59:28 AM »
Just avoid them, Josie, if they're not what you're interested in. Find the places, such as here, where you can develop along the lines you'd like to without the 'noise' of things you're offended by, whatever they may be. You don't have to be a captive audience to anything that you're uncomfortable with.

cheers,

Lorin

AlanSummers

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:15:03 AM »
Gosh Josie, I don't know which haiku groups you are with, but it sounds horrible. 

A lot of people profess to write haiku but seem to have little interest.  I recently joined a group blind because the blurb said folks were interested in serious haiku.  It was far from that except the main person has been published well, and even did well in a Japanese haiku competition last year, so I'm surprised. 

I don't know what you mean by indecent in the context of haiku postings, but if something is crudely written about a taboo subject, it can be really offensive. 

It's also best to consider leaving a group (quietly) if you are not getting anywhere.  I feel you have moved forward in leaps and bounds here in an incredibly short time.

So I hope to see you here more. ;-)

Alan

cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
Hello, Josie,

As you continue your haiku journey, you will see which places (fora) help you grow as a poet and which bore or annoy you.  And then of course, quietly back out of the ones that are not supporting your progress along the haiku path.

If there are some people at these places trying to do good work (with whom you would like to continue workshopping) and others who are posting what you term "indecent" (not sure what you mean by that, but I don't need to anyway), it should be fairly easy to see who's doing what and just avoid the threads by people whose work you don't care to follow.  If the whole place is a waste of time, leave without a backward glance.

A well-moderated place (such as this one) will never put you in that position.  Isn't it great we can come here and discuss our work?

cat
"Nature inspires me. I am only a messenger."  ~Kitaro

Don Baird

• View Profile
    • Living Haiku Anthology
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
Hi Josie,

I'm very happy that you've found THF.  I'm not sure how you happened upon us, but it's wonderful for all of us, including you, that you did!

This is a forum of some of the finest haiku poets alive.  I honestly believe that!  They're intelligent, well meaning and working on their haiku skills.  Collectively, the forum is trying to send a message to the mainstream poetry world that haiku are indeed valid, rich in meaning and a form to be reckoned with.  I think they're doing a fantastic job of doing that, as a note.

There will nothing indecent going on here at any level.  I'm sure of that.  THF is for all of our poets to be in a comfortable learning environment;  and, though we may have some fiesty exchanges, we continue buildind life long friendships with respect and dignity. 

Again, welcome to the forum.  And if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask anyone ... including the moderators!  The folks here are incredibly helpful and most important of all, absolutely sincere.

all my best,

Don
I write haiku because they're there ...

through
the hole of a cheerio,
spring!

josie hibbing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:21:10 AM »
Hi Don! Yes, I agree with every thing you said. I have learned a lot from this forum and the mentors are very nice. At first I thought that if I post a haiku to workshop that is bad, I'll get crucified; instead I came up with a better haiku than the original.

Thank you for welcoming me to this group!!!!

Josie

josie hibbing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:24:46 AM »
Hi Cat! Thanks for the reply.

I feel more and more comfortable in this group. At first I was scared because I know the people here are real haiku writers. You are all very nice and helpful.  :) Thank you!

Josie

josie hibbing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »
Hello Alan! What I meant about indecent haiku are the ones that are lustful (instead of romantic) and too graphic. I'm surprised that a lot of people like and make comments on them. I frequently visit 6 haiku groups on FB. And mostly the reason is I want to post my haiku. I can honestly say that only on the Haiku Foundation that I read lots and lots of good haiku. It is Laura that suggested that I post a haiku to workshop in the haiku foundation forum. And I'm very grateful to her for encouraging me to post in the forum.

I really appreciate you and all the mentors here. You do a wonderful job!!! :) I like to hear comments coming from people who really know haiku.

Josie

josie hibbing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:56 AM »
Thank you Lorin for the advice. I really appreciate it. :)

Josie

chibi575

• View Profile
    • chibi575 on facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
Hi Josie,

As you explore poetry more, you will find a wide variety of feelings and thought on an equally wide variety of subjects and ideas.  It is vast.  As you may become comfortable in one area, you may decide to expand into others.  There is room to explore at your own pace and within your own comfort levels.  May you find joy in your explorations of short poetry.

知美

AlanSummers

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
Haiku manages, surprisingly, to cover every topic. When I think it can't, I'm disproved. ;-)

It's a rollercoaster ride for the rest of your life, and an embracing challenge.

Thanks for coming aboard, and I think you are in the right place. ;-)

Alan

josie hibbing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:46:53 AM »
Thank you Chibi575 and Alan for the inspiration!!! Have a nice day!

Josie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk