News:

If you click the "Log In" button and get an error, use this URL to display the forum home page: https://thehaikufoundation.org/forum_sm/

Update any bookmarks you have for the forum to use this URL--not a similar URL that includes "www."
Welcome to The Haiku Foundation forum! Some features and boards are available only to registered members who are logged in. To register, click Register in the main menu below. Click Login to login. Please use a Report to Moderator link to report any problems with a board or a topic.

Main Menu

What do you write?

Started by Peter Yovu, February 06, 2011, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Yovu

I was hasty in starting this thread. It is probably redundant. Also, I was brilliantly mistaken in invoking the individual whose name came up in another thread. My apologies.

sandra

Uh, haven't we had this discussion already?

See the thread, Concerning English Short Poetry. ???

AlanSummers

I feel this could be a useful side continuation of that discussion.  It's slightly different, but also this development we weren't aware of, but may gather ground, is worth discussing.

I know there are strong arguments why we are allowed to call something a sonnet, a villainelle, cinquin, sijo etc... but it's always been a weak area with EL haiku.

Alan

Peter Yovu

I modified my original post. For what it's worth, though, I've come to be able to recognize my own stupidity without that being a criticism of myself.

To be clear about my reasons for saying what I did, it was based on my having earlier said (and elsewhere also, and many times probably) that I wish to be able to talk about haiku inspired poetry without looking over my shoulder to see if Mama Japan is watching. So why bring in the name of someone who for many may represent Mama Japan? That's just plain_____________ on my part.  

Gabi Greve

I wish to be able to talk about haiku inspired poetry without looking over my shoulder to see if Mama Japan is watching.
Peter

I once called it "Grandpa Japan", since I feel ELH has evolved so much since it reached other shores . . .  ;)

Gabi

William Killen

With respect to Mama watching over my shoulder, I have to chuckle a bit.  For me she did for years, intimidating, "You can not write haiku, real haiku, in English."  Fortunately, I grew up.  I came to understand that we English speakers can learn what the essence of haiku is.  Yes, our language is far younger than Japanese and, as a result of being in a much younger culture...well, I trust you understand the point.  With just five simple rules I write my words.  It is my meditation on my world expressed in as immediate and simple language as possible to say as much as I can within the constraints of those rules.  Will someone else say it is or is not a haiku?  I write from direct observation.  It snowed lightly this morning.  The sun came out around noon.  I saw the first yellow crocus of spring to my great delight.  I wrote a haiku.  That is what I do at least once a day, but often more.  It comes from living a good part of the day in the moment, being observant, then pulling that vast stream of moments into one connection that can be clearly shared.

AlanSummers

Welcome to thf Wiliam,

I like your thinking, and thank you for putting it down as a post here.

As I've said elsewhere, the genie is out of the bottle regarding haiku (and its other associations) and can't be put back. 

I hope to be able read your haiku either here, or in other places.

Alan

Gael Bage

hello william, welcome, like you I write at least one a day, often more, I put the drafts in the shiki shasei thread in share haiku, and I polish them later. I look forward to reading some of yours  :)
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance
- Carl Sandburg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk