News:

If you click the "Log In" button and get an error, use this URL to display the forum home page: https://thehaikufoundation.org/forum_sm/

Update any bookmarks you have for the forum to use this URL--not a similar URL that includes "www."
Welcome to The Haiku Foundation forum! Some features and boards are available only to registered members who are logged in. To register, click Register in the main menu below. Click Login to login. Please use a Report to Moderator link to report any problems with a board or a topic.

Main Menu

recursiveness in short poetry

Started by chibi575, December 09, 2011, 03:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chibi575

Having spent a majority of my working life in computer science fields, I am wondering about recursiveness in writing short poems.

This is not the recursive process in writing/review/editing, but, using an element of language that implies a looped logic recursively folding into itself until a finality.  That is to say, for example, the three ways a person may be perceived, what a person believes of themself, what another believes, and what a person, themself, believes another believes of themself... the recursive funciton is the act of believing.

An example in short poetry is the butterfly dream... a man dreams of a being a butterfly dreaming of being a man.

Of course, the style limiting the use of personification (that is to say, the "me" factor) may apply which restricts or confines certain ideas used for the tenets/guides outlined by Bashou near the end of his life (as I understand it, subtance over style and produndity over wittiness). Yet, there should be examples in Nature that lend to a natural recursiveness such as any procreative activity or objects (sans the human emotional projection), for simple example, mating not loving.

Exploring these aspects in Nature, more or less "as a matter of fact"  opens a poem to many facets of feelings from the reader, the transform being fact to feeling (as some like to say, "show not tell").

Some examples of this recursiveness:

a drop of dew  (that 180 degree fisheye reflection capturing that "world" around it) reflecting within that world dewdrops

flower scent... (undetectable by the flower, yet, integral to it's natural procreation and symbiosis through interaction with certain insects)

leaf color... (a byproduct of certain sugar production caused by light and temperature variation in a seasonal cycle, also, not detectable by the trees or bushes)

These objects (to mention just a few) are part of recursive processes occuring naturally on our planet, patterns that fold into themselves untill that which triggers the process ends.

Well, perhaps, my explanation of "recursiveness" is flawed (as I am not sure completely), but, I've started to think more about the idea.

I will attempt three examples using the above objects:

a drop of dew
within drops of dew...
sunrises

flower scent
in the wind lift of wings...
flower sent

red again
the leaf color...
fades

These are dredged memories, and, other examples perhaps better; although, I'm hopeful, these adequate.

Comments and discussion always welcome.

知美

Gabi Greve

red again
the leaf color...
fades

hidden
in the image -
the meaning

Greetings from the first snow of today!
Gabi
http://happyhaiku.blogspot.com/2011/12/first-snow.html

Don Baird

reflection caught in a world of dew a world of reflection
I write haiku because they're there to be written ...

storm drain
the vertical axis
of winter

Gabi Greve

Thanks a lot, Don!
I appreciate this very much.

Gabi

AlanSummers

Love the image of the snow on that red leaf.

Alan
Alan Summers,
founder, Call of the Page
https://www.callofthepage.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk