News:

If you click the "Log In" button and get an error, use this URL to display the forum home page: https://thehaikufoundation.org/forum_sm/

Update any bookmarks you have for the forum to use this URL--not a similar URL that includes "www."
Welcome to The Haiku Foundation forum! Some features and boards are available only to registered members who are logged in. To register, click Register in the main menu below. Click Login to login. Please use a Report to Moderator link to report any problems with a board or a topic.

Main Menu

知美の狗

Started by chibi575, November 09, 2011, 04:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chibi575

After reading the Explanatory Notes, Forward(s), and Chapter I, of A Brief History of Modern Japanese Haiku, from the book:

日英対訳21世記俳句の時空
The Haiku Universe for the 21st Century Japanese/English JAPANESE HAIKU 2008,
現代俳句協会編
Edited by MODERN HAIKU ASSOCIATION (GENDAI HAIKU KYOKAI)

it seems to me that one may try to form their own "school".

This is a bit "tounge in cheek", but, I've been contemplating what would be the school of "知美の狗"?*

I've often said with unabashed sincerety, "I love haiku".  Now, as I read about the Japanese groups and movements, I am beginning to understand that "haiku" (as my tenet "if it ain't Japanese, it ain't haiku" proclaims) is in continuous formulation.

If I were to subscripe to a theme for 知美の狗, I would tend to say the theme is bound to nature, for in nature, I find infinite patterns layered infinitly.  I would hope by exploring this pattern matrix, a cosmos of multiverse (in every poetical sense) would abound, allowing an intimacy tending toward purity. Indeed, I feel this tending toward purity teeters on transient enlightenment.  Yet, to capture in words any moments that encapsulate such transience, may well be difficult to understand and understood by few.  In fact, the idea of "simple but not too simple" would tend to apply (this being an ellusive goal).

The formulation of techniques and practices of the 知美の狗 school, would embrace some of the tenets for such traditional attributes as seasonality, cesure, and brevity.  Yet, even with such constraints, verse would be allowed to explore word play and allusion.

The one pivotal factor that 知美の狗would support differently than other schools would be the emphasis toward incorporating more science and math, resonating with the disiplined exploration encompassed by both.  What I would like to call, "the beauty in the beyond".

(to be continued)

*知美の狗 pronounced chee-bee-no-ku and tranliterated as "knowledge+beauty's verse".
知美

Gabi Greve

知美の狗

Chibi san, I think your wordprocessor played you a trick with the kanji ...

your KU is a different one - it is a Dog いぬ【犬/狗】
http://dic.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%E7%8B%97&aq=-1&oq=&r_dtype=all&ei=UTF-8

the KU for haiku is usually this one 俳

It is also used in the dear TENGU 天狗
But maybe "Chibi's Dog" is not so bad after all ?

Greetings from a rainy morning in Japan.

Gabi

Don Baird

Oh dear ... chibi-san, you may have to rethink this slightly - at least the kanji.  Nice seeing you here.

Don
I write haiku because they're there to be written ...

storm drain
the vertical axis
of winter

chibi575

Happy accident!  知美の句 is correct, but, 知美の狗is aMUSEing!  Thanks Gabi san for the catch and happy you read my post.

ciao...
知美

chibi575

Oops... Don, yep, always these happy accidents make me re-think... thanks for the reply.
知美

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk