News:

If you click the "Log In" button and get an error, use this URL to display the forum home page: https://thehaikufoundation.org/forum_sm/

Update any bookmarks you have for the forum to use this URL--not a similar URL that includes "www."
Welcome to The Haiku Foundation forum! Some features and boards are available only to registered members who are logged in. To register, click Register in the main menu below. Click Login to login. Please use a Report to Moderator link to report any problems with a board or a topic.

Main Menu

2024 H. Gene Murtha Memorial Senryu Contest

Started by Joshua St. Claire, May 13, 2024, 04:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua St. Claire

Has anyone seen a communication about the H. Gene Murtha Memorial Senryu Contest for 2024?

I didn't seen anything on the Failed Haiku or Prune Juice websites.

Thank you!

sandra

They don't announce it until just before opens, last year opened May 21.

Joshua St. Claire

I was getting antsy.

Here it is...

2024 Murtha Senryu Contest
H. Gene Murtha Memorial Senryu Contest
Gene Murtha, left us, too soon, but his humor, tenderness, and a superb gift of imagination remain in his many poems, most. Gene touched on subjects and emotions that ran the gamut of a life that is fully lived. He loved nature, family, and his fellow poets. Any flaws that he had, and he would admit to many, were overshadowed by his ability to express the most complex emotions simply and directly. A few of his poems may provide you with inspiration:

spring mist –
a mallard paddles
through our stillborn's ashes

fishing
where my brother stood –
twilight chill

Berlin Wall
a smooth stone
in my pocket

Contest Rules

1. Only TWO UNPUBLISHED submissions per poet.

2. Poems that have been workshopped or appeared on social media are suitable.

3. Short submission time of 10 days. Submissions begin on June 1st beginning at 12:01 AM EDT and must be in our email box by midnight EDT on June 10th. Any emails received either before or after will NOT be judged.

4. All email submissions MUST be sent to:  failedhaikucontests@gmail.com with MURTHA CONTEST in the Subject field.

5. The top three Winners will be notified by July 1st but I will not rush the judges so extra time will be given if necessary.

I'd like to thank our judges who will remain anonymous during the course of the contest and for all of the wonderful participants that make this contest so great every year.

greg schwartz

Thanks Joshua! Where did you find those guidelines? They're no longer listed on the Prune Juice site like in years past.

Joshua St. Claire

Quote from: greg schwartz on May 23, 2024, 09:55:06 AMThanks Joshua! Where did you find those guidelines? They're no longer listed on the Prune Juice site like in years past.

I got them from an email blast from Failed Haiku.

I didn't see it on either website, either, which is what made me initially inquire. Perhaps it will be announced on the website(s) closer to the time.

Good luck!

Seaview (Marion Clarke)

Quote from: Joshua St. Claire on May 24, 2024, 02:33:58 AM
Quote from: greg schwartz on May 23, 2024, 09:55:06 AMThanks Joshua! Where did you find those guidelines? They're no longer listed on the Prune Juice site like in years past.

I got them from an email blast from Failed Haiku.

I didn't see it on either website, either, which is what made me initially inquire. Perhaps it will be announced on the website(s) closer to the time.

Good luck!

The info is now posted on the site:

https://failedhaiku.com/

greg schwartz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk