Author Topic: Haiku North America update  (Read 186 times)

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
Haiku North America update
« on: September 09, 2021, 02:56:49 AM »

PDF HNA programme:
http://www.haikunorthamerica.com/uploads/6/8/9/2/6892517/2021_hna_conference_program.pdf

We look forward to your questions!

Panel Discussion
“What kind of 21st century does everyone want for haiku?" | Alan Summers & Panel
Sunday 17th October 2021
4:30 - 5:30 pacific time (Victoria, British Columbia)

Alan Summers (UK)
Skylar Kay (Canada)
Deborah A. Bennett  (Midwest USA)
Elancharan Gunasekaran (Singapore) publisher, editor, Proletaria
Gillena Cox (Trinidad and Tobago) Founder/coordinator, Caribbean Kigo Kukai (2010)
Orrin Tyrell (Texas, USA)

Panel Bios

Alan Summers is founder of Call of the Page, with Karen Hoy, supporting writers worldwide. He’s a founder of a triology of online journals. Alan has been filmed for the NHK Television (Japan) feature Europe meets Japan - Alan's Haiku Journey.  Writing Poetry: the haiku way will be published in 2022.

Skylar Kay is from Calgary. Her poetry explores how surrounding environments mirror human experience, and her personal experience as a transgender woman. Skylar aims to bring a marginalized voice to the very traditional space and form of haibun, expanding the canon, and creating room for other queer voices and writers.

Gillena Cox is Founder/coordinator of Caribbean Kigo Kukai since 2010. She does not see herself as professional, meaning her writing hobbies are not supported by University degrees. She is published by Purple Cotton Candy Arts, where her stories for children have haiku as chapter introductions, and as end poems.

Deborah A. Bennett is a self-taught free-verse haiku poet whose work appears in Victoria Magazine, Bella Grace Magazine, Indiana University's African American Review, Pig Iron Press series Religion in Modernity, Voices West, New England Writers Journal, Rosebud Magazine, Hedgerow Poems, The Poetry Pea, Akitsu Journal, Heron's Nest, and Rattle Magazine.

Orrin PreJean-Champs, from Port Arthur, Texas, came to EL Short Poetry around 2006. In 2013 he began writing tanka and published two collections. Orrin now focuses on the history and current practices of senryu, and as a senryu poet his first ebook collection of senryu is titled “October’s Kid.”

Elancharan Gunasekaran is the publisher of Proletaria. He has a strange love for all things poetical and Sci-Fi. A winner of the Montblanc X Esquire Six-word Story prize 2017. His latest publications are 108 Suns (Alien Buddha Press), Superatomicluminal (Hesterglock Press), Gods of the Gonzo (Analog Submission Press).

What kind of 21st century does everyone want for haiku?

The zoom phenomenon has allowed those who do not have the money to travel, to be seen and to be heard, to be more of a part of the haiku community than ever. Is it enough, can we all do more? This is a rare chance for ‘other voices’ to be heard, to be listened to, and not just asked but invited to help create the kind of 21st Century haiku society that leaves no one behind.

Negative space (something MA is sometimes associated with outside of Japan) should only be for haiku poetry, not its haiku practitioners.

Why do we write? Are we allowed enough space to write. What space(s) are available for those who write haiku, from journals, contests, collections, and anthologies, is it enough? Are we really doing enough, for haiku, and for everyone who wants to take part?

Why do we write? Defining the space in our multitude of environments from home and family, to the various conditions we engage in to survive: Are we restricted or constricted, both or neither, in being supported with our writing and our dreams?

Why do we write? Are we are engaging in a 21st environment that is still socially challenged with attraction to totalitarianism, and destructively labelling anyone who is deemed either different, or classed as outsiders? Can we look away from social wrongs and is this the wrong kind of negative space?

The Panel is open to Q&A:
to listen, discuss, engage, and embrace with the audience.

PDF HNA programme:
http://www.haikunorthamerica.com/uploads/6/8/9/2/6892517/2021_hna_conference_program.pdf

Lorraine Pester

• View Profile
Re: Haiku North America update
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 04:48:31 AM »

morning Alan,

questions (of course 🙃)

do you have to be a member to attend?

is there a fee?

will a zoom link be generated through registration (you can tell i’m familiar with zoom meetings)

lorraine
My entire soul is a cry, and all my work is a commentary on that cry.   Nikos Kazantzakis

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:31:14 AM »
Hi Lorraine!

Good questions!

We all have to register, even me, to attend the conference. There is no membership of "Haiku North America" only to register when they conferences happen every two years.

Registration info page:
http://www.haikunorthamerica.com/registration-info2.html

Registration form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeX2m2UV3L8sfJs9tjvH204c72tA2Nhvi8F9jtBRK23zyOwuw/viewform

There is no fee for this conference, it's free this year, so I hope thousands register!

Yes, a zoom link will be sent beforehand. I'm chasing up more details, as we should all be receiving updates.

warmest regards,

Alan

morning Alan,

questions (of course 🙃)

do you have to be a member to attend?

is there a fee?

will a zoom link be generated through registration (you can tell i’m familiar with zoom meetings)

lorraine

Lorraine Pester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:04:32 AM »

thanks so much Alan.

lorraine
My entire soul is a cry, and all my work is a commentary on that cry.   Nikos Kazantzakis

AlanSummers

• View Profile
    • Call of the Page
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 05:05:09 AM »
UPDATE

All those who have recently registered, as well as others too, will receive an October Announcement on October 1st that will also contain the zoom link.

Alan

Lorraine Pester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 05:39:16 AM »
UPDATE

All those who have recently registered, as well as others too, will receive an October Announcement on October 1st that will also contain the zoom link.

Alan

thanks Alan