News:

If you click the "Log In" button and get an error, use this URL to display the forum home page: https://thehaikufoundation.org/forum_sm/

Update any bookmarks you have for the forum to use this URL--not a similar URL that includes "www."
___________
Welcome to The Haiku Foundation forum! Some features and boards are available only to registered members who are logged in. To register, click Register in the main menu below. Click Login to login. Please use a Report to Moderator link to report any problems with a board or a topic.

Main Menu

haiku vs. haiku

Started by lulu, August 15, 2011, 02:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haikurambler

#45
Hi Chibi.

That's an interesting observation - the in/out box idea. It seems so cut and dried. So reassuringly black and white. I like it. However, a notion came to mind; how would this relate to orbital bodies around a planet? By which I mean, is there a possibility of haiku being haiku in some external relationship to your box, rather than actually being required to be in it? Perhaps budding off into other forms, eventually. You know; evolution and mutation, DNA jiggery-pokery, or some other transformational thingummyjiggeries which subsume natural mutation. I suspect there is, but how would this apply to little haiku and its formal classification in the schemas of linguistic sanity?


-
What do other readers of this interesting and heady thread reckon? Do share . . .

Darrell

haikurambler,
  Is pluto a planet? some scientist say yes, others say no, who is right? who is wrong?
  I suspect individual haiku are like pluto. Was a plant, then wasn't a planet, all because the definition of what a planet is has changed. Will it change again in the future? Will pluto get its title back?

a haiku student, darrell

Gabi Greve

I promised myself not to post on this thread any more, but here is a quote from this morning, which I think is good to share.

Niels Bohr said,

"The opposite of a fact is a falsehood,
but the opposite of one profound truth
may very well be another profound truth."


Greetings from a sweltering humid Japan
Gabi

chibi575

And now for something completely different... "chibiku":










                                                             SPAM









(tip of the hat to Cor)
知美

haikurambler

I'd say Pluto was spelled with a capital 'P', Darrell ^_^ But, yes, good point. Let's do anything we like and call it 'haiku' - who knows, we may be able to fool a tadpole! Seriously, though, I do think we need to provide some sort of a compass, with a map, even. I mean; is an epigram a haiku because it is, typically, brief, you know, pithy with a succinct meaning? Is a snowdrop a thistle when we're not looking, or are they both plants and that's good enough for making soup out of? What (and how) do you reckon?

Quote from: Darrell on August 18, 2011, 11:23:39 PM
haikurambler,
  Is pluto a planet? some scientist say yes, others say no, who is right? who is wrong?
  I suspect individual haiku are like pluto. Was a plant, then wasn't a planet, all because the definition of what a planet is has changed. Will it change again in the future? Will pluto get its title back?

a haiku student, darrell


haikurambler

Yes, Gabi Greve, but what (on earth) does you mean? (puzzled)

Quote from: Gabi Greve on August 19, 2011, 12:31:06 AM
I promised myself not to post on this thread any more, but here is a quote from this morning, which I think is good to share.

Niels Bohr said,

"The opposite of a fact is a falsehood,
but the opposite of one profound truth
may very well be another profound truth."


Greetings from a sweltering humid Japan
Gabi

haikurambler

And your point is, Chibi575?









                                                atomic











Quote from: chibi575 on August 19, 2011, 01:08:44 AM
And now for something completely different... "chibiku":










                                                             SPAM









(tip of the hat to Cor)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk