Board of Directors
The Board of Directors oversees the operations of the Foundation, including deciding the specific projects in which the Foundation will engage, how it will fund them, and how they will coordinate with other projects planned in the future. Aligned with the Foundation’s mission and non-discrimination policy, directors are drawn from the pool of volunteers already engaged on Foundation projects, or from the wider haiku community, whenever skills that help expand the range of our offerings are available.
The Associates are the chief ambassadors for the Foundation, supplying knowledge of every facet of haiku — theory, practice, editing, publishing, and so on — and are the major group of volunteers the Foundation possesses to implement our various projects. Our current group of Associates includes:
- John Barlow is the owner of Snapshot Press (UK).
- Roberta Beary is the haibun editor of Modern Haiku and the Roving Ambassador for The Haiku Foundation.
- Billy Collins is a Distinguished Professor of English at Lehman College (CUNY), a Distinguished Fellow of the Winter Park Institute at Rollins College, and served two terms as U. S. Poet Laureate (2001-2003).
- Tom Clausen retired from Cornell’s Mann Library in 2013.
- DeVar Dahl is a former president of Haiku Canada.
- Kristen Deming served as president of the Haiku Society of America in 1998, and was a member of the organizing committee of two U.S.-Japan haiku conferences.
- Margarita Engle is the 2017–2019 national Young People’s Poet Laureate, the first Latino to receive that honor.
- Abigail Friedman was an American diplomat who has lived in Japan, France, Afghanistan, Quebec, and the Azores.
- Richard Gilbert is the author of Poems of Consciousness: Contemporary Japanese & English-language Haiku in Cross-cultural Perspective (Red Moon Press, 2008) and The Disjunctive Dragonfly: A New Theory of English-language Haiku (R. Gilbert, Red Moon Press, 2013), and founder and director of the Kumamoto University-based Kon Nichi Haiku Translation Group.
- Christopher Herold is a former president of the Haiku Poets of Northern California and a co-founder of The Heron’s Nest.
- Jane Hirshfield, the author of eight much-honored books of poetry, was elected inn 2012 as a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets.
- Ken Jones, a Zen practitioner and teacher of thirty years’ standing, served as co-editor of contemporary haibun online from 2002-2013.
- Tadashi Shokan Kondo, a professor at Seikei University, founded Renku Performance, coordinated of the United Nations of Renku, and headed the Isehara Renku Society.
- David G. Lanoue is a professor of English at Xavier University of Louisiana, and maintains The Haiku of Kobayashi Issa, the most comprehensive English-language Issa site on the Web.
- Ban’ya Natsuishi currently works as Professor at Meiji University, and serves as Director of the World Haiku Association and President of Ginyu Press.
- Gabriel Rosenstock is poet and haikuist, former Chairman of Poetry Ireland/Éigse Éireann, and member of Aosdána, the Irish academy of arts and letters.
- Haruo Shirane is Shincho Professor of Japanese Literature in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at Columbia University.
- George Swede helped found Haiku Canada in 1977, edited Frogpond, and has brought out 38 collections of poems.